Meal planning can seem daunting and sometimes it is difficult to know where to start and how to make it easy.
So here are my top tips on how to make meal planning a family thing.
- Plan the meals together, getting everyone involved. Make sure there is at least 1 favourite dish for everyone.
- Write the meals on a wipeable board, just in case any last minute changes.
- Teach the little ones that they might not like everything in every meal but we still sit down at the table as a family.
- Make a shopping list before going to the store, this way you are less likely to get distracted.
- Get the kids to help with the shopping, they can pick the items from the list or strike the items off.
- Be flexible, there might be a day when no one fancy what is on the menu, be creative and come up with something else by getting new ideas from everyone.
- Always serve at least one thing that is liked by everyone.
- Know that you don't have to meal prep to make meal planning work.
- Try and get the family involved in the cooking. The more everyone helps out, the more everyone is more likely to try the food.
- Most of all, have fun with it, get experimental and don't get stressed out if things don't work out as planned, sometimes improvisation is our best ally.