So I bought myself a little new gadget, a little waffle maker that also has some plates to cook doughnuts in. I love doughnuts and I just couldn't help myself when I saw this little machine.
Last Saturday was Ali 3rd birthday and I decided to test the little thing there and then.
Me been me though, been a children party and all, I try to make the healthier version of those little parcels of heaven.
1 medium sweet potato mash
250ml warm milk
1 egg + 1 yolk
1 Tbps instant yeast
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
6 tsp melted butter
For the glaze
150g icing sugar
3 tbsp milk
4 tbsp cocoa powder unsweeten
- Combine the mash, milk, egg + yolk, yeast, baking powder, nutmeg, butter and salt. Mix until you have a smooth mixture
- Add the flour and knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a tea towel. Place in a warm place and leave to rise for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough and shape your doughnuts. Then cover them with a tea towel and leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile make your glaze, by whisking the icing sugar and cocoa powder together in a bowl and slowly adding the milk, until you have a smooth glaze. You can add a little milk if you need it.
- If you have a doughnut plate like me simply put them in and cook them for a few minutes.
- If you don't, heath up some vegetable oil and fry each doughnut for a few minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Dry on a paper towel.
- Dip each doughnut in the glaze and place on a rack to dry.